Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Istanbul

So the scenes at the airport were just a sign of things to come...
Monthly confession time.
Together with Buenos Aires, Istanbul was one of the places I was most excited about. Pretty much everyone I know told me nothing but fantastic things about it, so I was pretty nearly my armrest with excitement as we landed at the airport.
But here's the weird thing. Istanbul and I didn't really click that well.
Don't get me wrong, it is a stunning city, with some truly amazing historical buildings and all.
But when I was there it was super hot (rarely went below 35-36 degs, that's about 100 Fahrenheit, my non metric friends) and was full to the rim with tourists. And going through Europe in August, I have seen quite a few tourist infested places... But Istanbul was something else. Literally whereever you went you found yourself in a middle of a group of tourists (usually Russian, usually with a very loud guide) or in the middle of a bunch of drunken youth (usually German, and very drunk). Then there were the restaurant pimps, the guys trying to drag you into their restaurants... That sorta thing.
The other thing was that I was a bit sick. Nothing major - a runny nose and an itchy throat... That's never fun, but is really annoying when it's all hot and sweaty ...

So yeah, as much as I hate to admit it, Istanbul and I didn't really get along that well. Maybe I should try it again in winter (or come for Anzac Day). Maybe not.

No comments: