Friday, August 15, 2008

Yo

There are a few hotels around Heathrow airport, but most of them are a bit crap and a bit overpriced and a bit far and require the special bus to take you there making it all pretty annoying.
And then there's Yotel.
It is a hotel (of sorts) located right inside the terminal. It is not really a hotel. More like a immobile sleeper train.
There's no reception as such, just a terminal where you enter your booking code (that you received when you booked online) and get your room key.


The rooms are a bit like cells, the one I stayed in wasn't much bigger than my bed back home, but still had a bed (surprisingly comfy even), and a shower/bathroom area and just enough space for your luggage. While it was pretty tiny, it was very very cool. The monsoon shower was just that (compared to the usual trickly British-hotel shower) and you could control the lights to suit your mood. I think it looked like a luxury submarine cell would look like (if they had luxury submarine cells)

Plus you can sleep-in the next morning knowing that you are a minute away from check-in.
Well, theoretically.
Before I went to bed I went to the Qantas desk and asked the nice chick what would be the best way to get to my terminal the next day. And she gave me a pretty detailed answer of all my options, which, unfortunately, had very little to do with reality. So the next morning I head (whistling, of course I was whistling!) to the train that was supposed to take me to terminal 5 just to find out that it doesn't go there.

You need to take it somewhere else and then take some other train - the whole thing stretched to about 30 minutes.
Yotel was still the coolest ever - staying there again next weekend on my way to Berlin!!

No comments: