Friday, July 11, 2008

Buenos Aires- Why?

I ended up spending almost three weeks in Buenos Aires, and despite my best intentions never went to see the famous falls or any other major attraction.
I even failed to do the river crossing down to Uruguay (as I promised myself I would). I know - very lame of me.
I stayed within (I think) a three mile radius of my new home, and loved every minute of it.
Everyone I knew told me I was going to love the place, and everyone I know was absolutely right. It is well and truly a great city! It combines the friendliest people I have ever come across, the best steaks (and being a simple man- steak means a lot to me), the nicest red wine (same comment applies here) and the grandness of a city with 300 years of style. In addition it has this vibe that is really special and really cool. It's like people are living to the tango beat! Will says it has more life than any other city, and Will is probably right.
Add to that the fact that at the moment, with the Argentinian Peso at 30 cents or something, it is also ridiculously cheap and i think you're getting the picture.

In retrospect, I didn't really do much in Buenos Aires. I didn't go to the museums (apart from one, and only because it had a toilet exhibition) or do anything very touristy.
I'd normally get up in the morning (definition of morning varies, but normally between 9:00 and 11:00), have breakfast on my balcony, go down the road for a coffee (more about the cafe later), wander around, have lunch, go home for a nap and then do dinner or drinks or something before going to bed.
So I guess in following that pattern, I will take you to some of my favourite places in Buenos Aires, the places where I ended up spending most of my time.

No comments: