Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Off to London

I'm going to cut short my Paris stories (most of them revolve in one way or another around what I had for lunch/dinner, and nobody really cares...) and get on with my blog updates...
On the day of my departure from Paris I couldn't help but remember the good old days when travelling from Paris to London meant getting up at the crack of dawn, taking the train to Calais, then taking the ferry to Dover, queuing with the masses and taking the slow train into London, hoping you can make it in time for a late supper.
That's why I am still amazed, after all these years, that you can now board a train in Paris, and two-and-a-bit hours later get off in London. Eurostar rocks, man, Eurostar rocks!
So I did board the train at 5:45 in Paris, disembarked at 6:59 in Lonodn and had Will waiting for me at the station. With a brand new baking tray mind you! (Random, I know, but he is the baker's son after all).
We both agreed there is no better way to celebrate the reunion then a quick drinks at the brand new Champagne Bar at the station. Super fabulous!



So we had a glass of Champagne-of-the-Moment each, and a little bowl of top shelf olives, and another glass to wash down the olives... A couple of hours and some 50 Pounds poorer and we were on our way happy as a couple of Larries! we did get semi-lost in the tube and my trusty suitcase decided that London is to be its final resting place and broke, but who cares! I was in London! It was cold and grey and everything London is all about!

No comments: