Friday, July 11, 2008

Fav Places #1 - La Dorita

La Dorita is the Parilla (grill or steakhouse) downstairs from where I lived, and where I had many a happy dinner.
I will start with the fact that the place (well, both its branches) was just outside my front door. So literally a 10 second walk. Which is always a good start - nobody likes walking for hours to get food, and at least in my books - being able to get home in under a minute after dinner, gives the place a big brownie point.
The place is pretty big. And when it gets full (and it normally does) - they open the second floor and balconies.
And when they get full, they open their sister parilla (also called La Dorita) just across the road.
So anytime, day or night, that you crave a piece of dead cow perfectly prepared, you know La Dorita will have a table for you.
I was never super adventurous with the food there. Once I found out what I liked I stuck to it pretty much. It was always the same steak (called lomo in Spanish - no idea what exactly it is in English, but it tastes like fillet, and looks like pork loin) with some sort of mash (and La Dorita would mash most veggies for you) and a penguin of red. They serve their wines in penguin-shaped carafes, you see. And a monster basket of grilled bread. They grill their breads on the same grill they grill their steak on, so it tastes like, well, steak.
When I was super hungry I'd also have half a chorizo with the salads it comes with.
I probably ate there about a dozen times and the food was never short of perfect. I can't think of anywhere in Sydney that can match this never-miss record.
The other thing, despite the fact that the place is popular with the rich and famous, and is really nice, it is again very cheap. I don't think I ever managed to spend there more than $15. I usually ended up very full and happy at around $10.

Can't wait to go back!

No comments: