Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Fav Places #3 - Pajaro Que Comio

Pajaro que Comio (or Paja, as I used to refer to it before someone explained to me, giggling, what paja actually means in Argentinian) was the other cool restaurant just dowstairs from where I was staying. If La Dorita was all about steaks and roughly a 20 second walk from the front door, this one was more Italian and about a 7 second walk. Here's a picture of it from my bedroom windown - that's how close it was! You could actually go there in the rain without getting wet! Big brownie point!

So proximity definitely worked for it. Then there was the food that was always good, always plentiful and always cheap-ish.
And then there was the management of the establishment, aka Juan, who was always nice to me. And I don't mean "welcome, sir" kind of nice, I mean the kind that comes over to chat and sends you things on the house (especially my new favorite dessert - dulce con queso, which is just that - sweet potato sweets with a bit of tangy cheese. Tastes much nicer than it sounds!)
Now there are two explanations as to why Juan was so nice to me. One is that Juan is a nice and friendly person, like most people in Buenos Aires really.
The other explanation may have something to do with my broken Spanish. The first time I came in, it was pretty late, I was one of the only people there, I ordered some food (ok, I ordered a lot of food) and waited for it reading my TimeOut guide for Buenos Aires. At some point Juan stops by to say hi, and asks me where I'm from, and I answer that I am from Sydney but now I live right here - and kind of point across the road. NOW, in hindsight, I think that he may have understood that I work as a critic for TimeOut guide I was holding, which would obviously result in him showering me with favours.
Either way- it was great- can't wait to get back!

No comments: