Friday, July 11, 2008

Fav Places #2 - My Morning Coffee

The cafe down the street where I would go for my morning coffee was not a glamorous place. It was one of those places that looked like they have been there for the last fifty years or more. Probably has been.
But it was a little dark and a little charming, and was, after all just two minutes the street, and the gentleman behind the bar did get the coffee right, and the medialuna was always fresh and tasty, so I really didn't see a reason to change.
I was actually developing a relationship with the gentleman behind the bar.
At first I think he was a bit suspicious ans unsure about me (well, anyone would, with my broken Spanish. I think he never had anyone non Argentinian at the place!)
But after a couple of times he got to know who I am and what I want, and would get me my cortado and my medialuna as soon as he saw me walk in. Even add a glass of soda water on the house, coz he knew I liked it.
Then, after a week or so, we started chatting. Our first conversation didnt go too well, I'm afraid... He was trying to tell me that his wife was denied a visa to move to Australia, and for some reason what I thought he was saying was that his wife couldn't find the keys for the toilet. I can only guess what he thought of me when I suggested she looks under the bar for it. But it got better with time, and we ended up talking about Independence Day and about how much he liked Australian Rugby and other bits and pieces.
And on my last day, when I said goodbye, he actually came from behind the counter and gave me a big hug, which I thought was pretty unusual for the man behind the bar.
He also got the family to pose for me - so here we go - pics of the cafe down the street.



No comments: